in celebration of all things NOT chick lit

In celebration of women:

Three Books...
by Lynn Harris

No Such Thing As Witty Women? Think Again

"Women aren't funny. Or, at least, so goes the age-old postulation — one that women generally find hilarious. This spring in The Guardian, Germaine Greer wrote an entire column based on the premise..."

For the whole article, click here.

For the longest time I couldn't find very many female writers who I liked reading (this seemed to happen in my teen years). I am forever grateful for my Undergrad experience as an English major, in which I was introduced to and fell in love with many female writers, all whom I still enjoy! So, in celebration of great female writers, thought I would share some which I enjoy:

Kids/YA:

Judy Blume
Margaret Wise Brown
Virginia Lee Burton
Beverly Cleary
J.K. Rowling
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Audrey Wood

Adult:

Louisa May Alcott
Jane Austen
Anne Lamott

Poetry:

Elizabeth Bishop
Emily Dickinson
Rita Dove
Jorie Graham
Sharon Olds
Mary Oliver

The Way Things Work
is by admitting
or opening away.
This is the simplest form
of current: Blue
moving through blue;
blue through purple;
the objects of desire
opening upon themselves
without us; the objects of faith.
The way things work
is by solution,
resistance lessened or
increased and taken
advantage of.
The way things work
is that we finally believe
they are there,
common and able
o illustrate themselves.
Wheel, kinetic flow,
rising and falling water,
ingots, levers and keys,
I believe in you,
cylinder lock, pully,
lifting tackle and
crane lift your small head--
I believe in you--
your head is the horizon to
my hand. I believe
forever in the hooks.
The way things work
is that eventually
something catches.

~ Jorie Graham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love