30 Books to read before you turn 30

I totally stole this list from Miss C. I love lists (I think I have said it before...I will say it again!) :


Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse – check
1984 by George Orwell – Will have to try again. Couldn't get into this one.
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – The reason I wanted to become a lawyer after I read this when I was 11.
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess – Have not read
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway – Have not read
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Saving for winter...when it is cold and depressing outside.
The Rights of Man by Tom Paine – I had to read parts of this in college. Snore. Will have to try again.
The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau – Have not read
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez – Have not read
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin – Have not read
The Wisdom of the Desert by Thomas Merton – Have not read
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell – Have not read
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham – Have not read
The Art of War by Sun Tzu – Have not read
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien – Loved them all. But the movies were more fun!
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens – I have to be in a mood for Dickinson. Have not read
Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot – Have not read
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller – Have not read
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – Still haven't read! I know...it's been on my shelf forever!
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger – Wish I would have read this when I was 15 years old...and if I was a boy. I get the historical significance, but it was boring for me.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Have not read
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli – Started it a while ago; set it down.
Walden by Henry David Thoreau – One of my favorites. Such a good semester of reading in college when I was doing this book.
The Republic by Plato – Have not read
Lolita – Have not read
Getting Things Done by David Allen – Umm never heard of it.
How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie – Not really a fan of self improvement books. . .
Lord of the Flies by William Golding – Saw the movie...now I have to read the book.
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck – Even though Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors...I haven't read this one yet.
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov – Never heard of it
BONUS: How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman – Read sections of this in my past life as a cook on the farm. (I believe that the title should be, How to cook almost everything, right TSO!?--Remember when Beth graffitied the book? And FlavaFlav didn't believe that I didn't do it!)
BONUS: Honeymoon with My Brother by Franz Wisner – Have not read

Comments

TSOldtimer said…
HA! I do remember How To Cook Almost Everything and it's sequel, How To Cook Everything In The World. Can't stand either of them.

And, I'm pretty sure I've read more of those books than you have! For shame, Monster! ;-)

PS - Toe makes the whiskey go down smooth.
TSO,

I know...why am I a librarian. In my defense I've read a lot of books that aren't on this list...wha?!
P.S. My impression of FlavaFlav about that book,
FlavaFlav: "Seriiiiooouuussllyy Monster, you can tell me that you wrote on the cover. I won't be angry."
Me: "I didn't write on the damn cover. That was obviously written by someone who is left handed. I am right handed, B1, however is not right handed! AAGGGGHHH!"

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love