the car who lived

I feel like I have been gone from Blogger world forever.

My life lately feels like a damn country music song...maybe I should rename this post, Library Honkey tonk badonka-doonk...? I don't feel like going into all the details, but to recap:
  • Sirius, the car that I just got about three weeks ago was totaled in an accident last Monday. (Maybe it was bad luck to name it after a character who dies!)
  • My rental car which I had to drive for the week wound up costing over $250...*ugh*
  • Family friend passed away last week and it made me sad and miss Dad. Loss is a part of life, for sure, but does it ever get any easier?
  • My sister's dog Bailey, (which I think of as my dog since she lived with us when she was a puppy) has gotten sick with lupus and her immune system is weakening, so we don't expect her to live too much longer. So weird how much we get attached to our pets.
  • The new plates for my car put me out another $100...*ugh again.*

On a happier note, life lately has also meant:

  • Summer Reading sign-ups continue each day and my group of K-2nd graders keeps growing. I am now at over 210 kids and still growing daily.
  • Summer Reading programs officially began last week and so I have truly been initiated--like a Frat Brother at a keg party...what? My first (weekly) sessions went great. I do two each week and had 67 kids show up for my a.m. program, and 45 kids show up for my p.m. program. It was slightly stressful and left me feeling like I needed a BIG drink, but it was also one of those instances where you really learn how to roll with the punches when everything you plan doesn't work as you planned.
  • We had a really cool program come through with insect predators (since our theme this summer is all about BUGS!). It was a great program, though for the future I think we should have had a sign-up in advance since 192 people showed (which besides being over the fire-code approved amount) made it really hard to hear and see the animals that were brought. I was actually embarrased at how poorly our PARENTS acted and apologized to the woman after everyone left. It's totally not cool to leave your crying baby in the room while everyone else is trying to hear! Agh! Otherwise, the program was informative and cool. Monster niece and nephew came and Monster niece kept telling me that the owl looked just like "Harry Potter's owl." (I accidentally let her watch the movie while I was babysitting. I had fallen asleep watching it and Monster niece--who was supposed to be napping--watched the whole thing.)
  • Got a "new" car this weekend (Thanks A3!!). It is a 2002 Saturn. Now I am mastering driving a manual. I haven't driven a stick shift in 12 years, but miraculously all has gone well so far. I only stalled out once the other day. Stop signs on hills are the DEVIL!! Since I had bad luck with my last choice of car name I have decided to call this car Harry in the hopes that, like the boy who lived, this car will outlast it's predecessor. It kinda looks like this:

Comments

Paz said…
Congrats on your new car. I don't know how to drive.

Paz
WAHT!!? PAZ!? Is that because you live in NY and that's not necessary or because you never wanted to? I am such a Detroiter (MIchigander) by heart. We all drive TOO MUCH! Huge carbon footprints here.
Paz said…
LOL! Yeah. Living in the city, there's no real reason to need to learn to drive. I've got the silver limo (subway), the bus, and taxi cabs. Of course I need a car to get around other places and then I have to be at the mercy of others, which I'm tired of. I would like to learn to drive now but I'm scared. *sigh*

Paz
Paz,
If I lived in the city I prob. wouldn't have a car, I'd probably just rent it occasionally! Good for you...reducing your "carbon footprint." :)
Paz,
If I lived in the city I prob. wouldn't have a car, I'd probably just rent it occasionally! Good for you...reducing your "carbon footprint." :)
Shoot! Why do I keep getting 2 of every damn comment?!
Paz said…
The carbon footprint concept is a good way to look at it but really, there are times when I NEED to know how to drive. Like tomorrow, I have to take my dogs to the groomers and I'm going to have to pay the cabdriver double to take me and back. It's a real pain. *sigh* Not to mention expensive.

Two of everything? The computer loves you, is all. ;-)

Paz
Paz said…
P.S. My friend tried to rent a car, today, Tuesday and there are none available. They're all rented out. Looks like New Yorkers (who can drive) are headed out of town for the holiday. ;-)

Paz

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love