I put the "argh" in argyle

I read this and became infuriated--okay, maybe not infuriated, but at least irritated. I hate the idea of these "helicopter parents." Don't get me wrong, I loved that my parents were (and still are as I finish Graduate School) active and supportive in my education. But that means they help out financially if I hit a rut--they fed me; pitched in for gas so I could come out and visit when I was broke, proof read papers, encourage me verbally, pray for me.

That is being involved.

The article states,

"Data from 24 colleges and universities gathered for the National Survey of Student Engagement show that students whose parents were very often in contact with them and frequently intervened on their behalf 'reported higher levels of engagement and more frequent use of deep learning activities.' "

The problem with these "helicopter" or "hoover" parents, and what irkes the shit out of me are the parents who think they are doing those things--stimulating their little college bound larvae--only when in reality these parents are only enablers. In my experience working reference--COLLEGE REFERENCE--I have actually had parents come in looking for articles and books for their kids--not picking up said documents, actually searching and spending hours in the library DOING THE RESEARCH. How do I know this?-you ask-the parents admit it when you ask them if they are familiar with searching on the school's databases, etc.

And some of them even give excuses why. Is it because little Johnny is in chemo, watching his IV drip and can't phsyically get out of bed? No, it's because, "my daughters' so busy right now." Geez...what does that feel like?!?!

I am with Robyn J. Rickenbach, a Fairfax County parent with a freshman son at Virginia Tech, who the article quoted as saying, she was "'just dumbfounded' by the findings of the NSSE (pronounced 'Nessie'). 'If you are a helicopter parent when your kids are in college," she said, "are you going to continue to be a helicopter parent when your kids get out of college? When they get married?'"

Argh! I just needed to vent on that.

On a happy note, some cool articles about libraries:

Katherine Hepburn's goodies

New York Library Lions

So much for the Patriot Act

China's Preservation of History

Comments

JennPav said…
You should have lived my college experience. I was the only one in my class who had to have a job. Infact, I had two of them. I never once turned an assignment in late and I had to struggle through every step. I had no time, no money, and no life. I just look back and wonder if mom and dad are still carrying those spoiled losers. Exactly 50% of my class didn't make it to graduation anyway.
Ha ha ha...I appreciate your comment friend.

I did the same--working full time and going to school full time, and I still am doing that for grad school too. It is the people like us friend that appreciate it more, I think. :)
Kt said…
A new term! I've heard of boomerang kids, but not helicopter parents. ("Chopper pops," maybe?)

I've always been interested in the shifting family model of the last two centuries, how several generations typically lived and worked together until the 1800's, and then how by the turn of the twentieth century grown kids were expected to move out and never return. It's a complete turnaround. Staying too closely involved with your extended family can be looked at as a vice in today's society, and I have to wonder if that attitude contributes to the overall loss of community and identity suffered in many parts of our country.

Which is not to say that parents should do all the leg work for their lazy kids. I just got off on a tangent.

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love