**"It's not easy being green"**

** Kermit the Frog-hip enough to live in a swamp **

Green

Add to My Profile More Videos

Thanks Miss Cellaneous for posting this Sustainability Test. I feel like an over-consuming, greedy American now, but it is good to be reminded of these things because hopefully that is how change starts.

I am pleased to say that I rated a "0" for recycling, which is equivalent to an A+! We recycle everything in our house...I even make my roomie M recycle all the paper we get rid of, which I drive up the street so the kiddies can make some doe rei me off of us. Also, our energy rates were low too since we use "green" lightbulbs which I bought for the house, and use the bare minimum. Go natural lighting!

All this thinking about taking care of the planet, and consuming less made me think. I am going to visit Mummy Dearest and TSOldtimer in October for nearly a week, and was trying to decide what would be the best way to travel on a budget. I usually fly, but this time I can't seem to find any ridiculously low fares so I contemplated driving out to MA. Then I thought, "huh, my car is 10 years old, has over 253,000 miles on it, and is a grandma mobile, so it does not get the best gas mileage anymore..." So, I decided to check into renting a car. Would the cost of a rental (for a week) and gas be more efficient than taking my old boat?

I decided that I was going to make an educated guess, so today I really did my homework.

I found this great U.S. Government sponsored website, which allows you to examine approximately how many miles your car gets (highway and city), how much gas your car burns per 25 miles, as well as how much driving 25 miles is going to cost you, among many interesting things. You can also compare two cars to see which is the better.

So, I called around local car rental places and finally decided on Enterprise being the cheapest at $139/week for the rental (before my AAA discount). This rate is for an economy car (the wonderful, helpful woman said that it would most likely be a Chevy Cobalt or Aveo that I would get, which I was assuming were between 2005-2007 models-both of which have the same gas rates-yeah!)

The breakdown:

  • my 1997 Lincoln Continental "Will" would cost $4.17/25 miles driven, totaling $233 in gas roundtrip. Total cost of trip = @$250 roundtrip
  • a 2005-2007 Cobalt would cost $2.92/25 gallons, totaling $163 in gas roundtrip. Total cost of trip: $163 gas + $139 rental = @$302
  • a 2005-2007 Aveo would cost $2.62/25 miles driven, totaling $150 in gas roundtrip. Total cost of trip: $150 gas + $139 rental = @ $289

Other points to consider:

  • I already checked with AAA and they did say that my insurance covers rentals in case of accidents, which means I don't need the rental insurance.
  • I also figured the mileage for 200 miles over what I will actually be driving which means the cost of gas could vary by as much as @$25 dollars.
  • It is very close in price, but I think it would be better for both the enviornment (as my car gets older I think it is an emissions monster), as well as my cars longevity to drive a rental.

I have to make my car last until next summer at which point the goal is to get a new one.

Any thoughts!?

Comments

Kt said…
I tried taking the Sustainability Test, and apparently need 3 planets to sustain myself. Great link! I don't like how they have it set up in some places, though. They dinged me hard because I don't take public transportation, but out in the sticks there isn't such a thing. Our version of public transit is cramming as many kids in the bed of a pickup as possible. So they told me I was a bad person (because I don't live in a city??) and added a planet. Boo.
Woot woot...I got low marks for public transportation...I didn't know how to tell them that I would rather drive to work and arrive on time, then take the 2 hour bus into Detroit for work...they just don't get it. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love