A holiday without traditions, a new tradition

We never had holiday traditions growing up, I think that was why I loved them so much when I worked at GF. Following my tradition of a holiday sans traditions, today was a bizarre day of events.

I went out to breakfast with Roomie, hitting the nearest Coney Island (the term Coney Island confused people that were not from MI. when I mentioned Coney Island restaurants while living out East.) Coney Islands are restaurants, that in this part of MI. consist of a few things:
  • Colorful menus.

  • Bad decor.

  • Staff members that only speak the langauge of the mother tongue.

  • A Greek family that owns and operates the restaurant.

  • Staple foods that they are known for (Greek salads are always good, greasy good breakfasts.

  • Multiple locations that are open 24 hours, and are the places where you eat at at 2am when you leave the club.

  • Pictures of Greek military in traditional uniforms.

For the perfect example of what I mean when I talk about Coney Island restaurants, think of the one that the family owns in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." And if you have never seen the movie, DO, it is funny.

Next, I did what I (what most normal people) try to avoid on holidays. I went to the grocery store where I was bombarded with more tacky red, white, and blue paraphenilia then you would need to see in a life time. I went in for toothpaste and floss, and $53 later left with two bags bulging with strawberries, blueberries, and cherries, a birthday card, shampoo and conditioner, 3 books of stamps, and yes, the original planned purchases, toothpaste and floss. I couldn't help but feel like I got flossed. I hate how grocery stores give you their savings card and you use it to get allegdged sales, always walking out of there with more stuff than you needed because it was "on sale" with your card. My reciept said I saved $3.72. Wow. I miss shopping for free in the GF kitchen.

Got home, showered, etc. and then Chris and I headed to my Aunt R's annual 4th of July festivities. Wow. You know the Jeff Foxworthy fans, Larry the Cable guy watching, Nascar loving crowd...? That is kinda what everyone there is into except my family. It's cool. Everyone has their thing. I just feel more out of place than a hooker in high court. Still, it was an interesting afternoon catching up with family; eating good Midwestern food; listening to the radio; catching some sun (once it poked out); playing football with the boys; and laughing while my cousin's 3 year old daughter got out of the kiddie pool, soaked, and preceeded to chase Chris around the pool, trying to hug him, screaming, "I am going to get you, boy!"

After the way too long nap this afternoon, an indulgence that I don't partake in often, I am back in the office working on my 5 page paper that is due Friday. I am having serious writer's block and thought writing this might help. It didn't. But, since I don't want another all-nighter like the other night...I should (as they would have said at the party today,) "get 'er done."

It is almost 11pm and as I prepare to begin my paper I can hear fireworks going off outside. Those sounds paired with the crooning of Gillian Welch are a good way to wind down this day.

Happy 4th of July everybody.

"On June 11, 1776, the colonies' Second Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia formed a committee with the express purpose of drafting a document that would formally sever their ties with Great Britain. The committee included Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Roger Sherman and Robert R. Livingston. The document was crafted by Jefferson, who was considered the strongest and most eloquent writer. (Nevertheless, a total of 86 changes were made to his draft.) The final version was officially adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4. The Declaration of Independence has since become our nation's most cherished symbol of liberty." ~History of the 4th, PBS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love