Harry Potter and the culture of reading

This is a great article about how the Harry Potter series has impacted not only culture, but reading.

(Yes, yes, TSOldtimer, I was one of those who refused a good thing in the beginning. I will never live it down!)

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local/article.php?cat=6&id=14281

By the way I don't even have to search for these articles about H.P., this one was in my American Libraries Direct, which is my bi-weekly online magazine from the American Libraries Association. They love H. P. Too!

Comments

Kt said…
mls, I just finished posted my own HP observations, so I chuckled to come to your blog and see the same thing. That article is great, and says far more eloquently what I think I just tried to say in my post. Were you slow to catch onto the series too? I'm glad I'm not the only one!
TSOldtimer said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
TSOldtimer said…
Yay! That article was from a paper near where I grew up! Great big Penn State University is there. Good article. I like how he compared the books' releases to the releases of Beatles' songs. That's a very good example of a cultural phenomenon.
Yes, I noticed that when I posted it-State College-yeah! I liked too how they mentioned that the popularity of these books has encouraged a resurge of interest in other (awesome) fantasy books, i.e. Chronicles of Narnia.

Yes, Kt, I avoided the phenomenon forever, saying, "there are too many 'classics' out there that I need to be reading." For whole, shameful story, consult TSOldtimer, who encouraged me to read them. Better late than never!
Kt said…
I think it's safe to say these qualify as "classics in the making," so you've stuck to your original goal. You could read them when you were 50 and they were good and properly aged classics, but then you wouldn't have had the fun of release parties and such, hey?
Manda said…
True that yo!

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love