Kurt Vonnegut

With Kurt Vonnegut's passing this week I have given much thought to death. I can ulger nothing of death, having never achieve it myself, so I sit and mull over the idea of what is left to us when someone dies. Especially in our culture where we celebrate so much of the Hollywood industry, as I see it, our largest export these days, when someone more well known dies it seems as if their life is hung out like laundry for all to see. I hate that and I won't do that. Instead I offer a few quotes that I mulled over today at the library.

"To die will be an awfully big adventure." ~ J.M. Barry

"The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise. " ~Tolkein

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." ~J.K. Rowling
(maybe borrowing a bit from Barry)

"It is hard to have patience with people who say "There is no death" or "Death doesn't matter." There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn't matter."
~ C.S. Lewis

It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure on the world.
~John Steinbeck

And lastly from the man himself: "We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down." ~Kurt Vonnegut

For some info on his life and some links to interviews that Vonnegut had done: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9567370

Cheers to the life that a man lived trying to share his truths about a society and a culture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love